Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Small Passive Solar/Rocket Stove Mass Heated Home

 It is so amazing how many hits this blog gets every day! I started it about 2 1/2 years ago and then wound up working 7 days a week. To be truthful, I forgot about it! Then about 6 months ago, I checked the stats and couldn't believe it was still getting hits. One of my three jobs ended a couple of months ago so I've decided I just need to get back in there and see what I can do with this! I'm planning to post a new floor plan about once a week. If you enjoy my musings, check back every week or so and if I'm sloughing off hollar at me!

So ... on to one of my newest floor plans!



Grampa Tom has been looking at  itty-bitty homes like the ones on The Tiny house Blog . He thinks he could live in one. They are cute, but he is dreaming. He complains all the time about not being able to turn around in hotel showers and soooo couldn't live with me without a man-cave, so with this plan, I have endeavored to keep it as small as possible without sacrificing the things important to us.

This home could be constructed as a 36 x 44 pole building or as a 3 section modular home.

The main entry has double doors to accommodate moving large furniture like beds and sofa's. It opens into a comfortable living area with a large kitchen and a breakfast bar.

The kitchen has 14 foot of counter top and room for both a large refrigerator and an upright freezer. In most of my homes I like to have a pantry, but with this one, I've made do with plenty of cabinets and a door to the basement just outside the kitchen. If a large freezer in the kitchen isn't important to you, you could replace it with wall ovens or a full height pantry cabinet.

The master bedroom shares a small bathroom with the living area, but it is insulated from the sounds of the living areas by closets and doors on the hall.

The small bathroom is compensated by a 4 x 5 ft locker style shower in the laundry/ mud room and a hot-tub in the sun room.

I've always dreamed of a green house attached to the house so I could start my plants and heat the house with the passive solar gain. Recently I ran across a really neat wood stove that uses very little wood and emits almost no smoke at http://www.richsoil.com/rocket-stove-mass-heater.jsp . This seems like the perfect way to take this area from a three season area to a four season greenhouse. I'd just build a little rocket stove next to the hot tub and use the hot tub for my thermal mass!

What would you change? And what would you name this house?


No comments:

Post a Comment